Background to the Assessment
Have you ever considered choosing a technical career path? Most people don't know how or where to start. This assessment is a guide to assist you in determining whether or not you have an aptitude for any of the technical trades.
Choosing the correct career path is one of the most important decisions that you can make. Ensuring that you invest your time, finances and effort in the right engineering trade is thus of vital importance and should not be taken lightly. We are here to help you each step of the way.
Our engineering trade courses are accredited by the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations and after the successful completion of a Trade Test, will lead to a qualification as an Artisan in the chosen engineering trade. Your career path does not have to end here either. You can continue by studying towards a B.Tech degree and even qualify as an Engineer.
What is an Artisan?
According to the Oxford dictionary, an Artisan "is someone who does skilled work with their hands". You not only have to have the ability to see solutions but also implement them yourself - it's hands-on. Electricians, Fitters and Turners, Automotive Mechanics, Welders, Boilermakers, Riggers and Instrumentation Mechanicians are all artisanal trades. In order to qualify to write the Trade Test an individual must:
- be 16 years and older,
- have passed at least grade 9 with a 50% pass in Maths and Science.
- preferably already have passed N1 and N2 in the relevant trade
If not in place, N1 and N2 can be completed concurrently with the trade course – please enquired about our N-Bridging courses.
Requirements for taking the Assessment
We highly advised that you take the assessment:
- in a quiet environment with no distractions,
- preferably seated at a desk,
- with pen and paper handy for taking notes or workings,
- in an area with a good signal or Wi-Fi connection and
You will not need a calculator to complete the assessment.
The assessment consists of the following:
- Four individual tests.
- Each test will provide you with some background to the test, explaining the elements that you will encounter and what you will be expected to do.
- Each test will have at least one example.
- To ensure that you understand the question methodology, we have included a few practice questions for you to familiarise yourself with the content.
- Finally, when you are ready, you will click on the Start Quiz button which will start the assessment questions and the timer.
- Each test will indicate the number of questions as well as the allotted time in which the assessment should be completed. Please ensure that you take note of this and plan accordingly.
The results from the assessment will be forwarded to our professional staff who will aggregate the scores from each of the four tests on a weighted average basis. Once they have interpreted the results, you will receive your feedback via email to your registered email address. Please ensure that you have received a verification email from us when completing the online platform registration.
The results of the assessment rely on your state of mind and ability to answer the questions on the day that the assessment is taken. If you are not operating at your optimal on the day, the results may be severely affected by this. So if you're having a bad day, please delay the assessment. Furthermore, you can achieve anything that you put your heart and mind to. You are in charge of your destiny so don't let anyone tell you otherwise!